Monday, January 16, 2017

A Few Right Thinking Men

Sulari Gentill has gotten the voice and creative charm of aristocratic Australia exactly right.  I followed up my promise to read the rest the Rowland Sinclair mystery novels and I am glad I found this series.  The writing style is fun to read.  I can almost hear it come to life as I am reading.  The characters are wonderfully colorful and Gentill's descriptions are so vivid I can almost see Sinclair, Milton, Clyde and Edna come to life as I am reading.

Rowland Sinclair comes from a family of means living in Australia during the economic depression of the 1930s.   He comes home to the family estate meets some artistic friends who do have the wealth he has inherited and invites them to move in with him.  He has found his passion in painting and paints portraits of Edna while secretly harboring a crush on her.  there are hints she may feel the same way but she is an artist in her own right and does not want to give up her career for marriage.  So they all live together having adventures and getting into trouble.  Of course murder is involved and they help to sort that out along the way.

Sinclair is straddling two areas of society with a foot in each social group, upper crust and middle class.  He balances both with finesse.  Hanging out with his friends and visiting with his brother each group wary of the other.  I do hope in the end he and Edna find love together....it would be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment