Monday, February 17, 2020

I Fell Into A Volcano: And Other "Coming of Age" Disasters

A friend suggested this book and I read it..but I probably would never have picked it up otherwise.  I do not know Lynne Gassel and so reading her personal life would not have pulled me in.  She is not a celebrity but once I was reading I will say that because she is a woman in my age group and lived a similar life in the suburbs growing up and talks about her relationships to her parents, her husband and her children, it was sort of relatable to my life and it was interesting.

This is the personal story of Lynne Gassel's life.  Looking back to her childhood and her relationship to her family and how affects her relationships with her husband and children.  Also how it informs all the aspects of her thinking.  She discloses so many private moments where you can feel empathy for her and the people in her life.  There are some moments you can relate to as a spouse and parent.  There are points you can understand as a fellow baby boomer, but there are some topics, like current political commentary that seem to get too involved in the weeds for this book. 

I was uncomfortable with her political statements, not because I disagree with them, but that they seemed unnecessary to the overall story and it would be harder to recommend the book to others.

I feel for her as a mother who had trouble with her children.  It is always interesting to read about other people's lives.  In a voyeuristic sort of way, watching others and feeling sorry for them but glad you did not go through that experience.  Also as a way to compare your life and see if things are normal, better than you thought or at least not as bad as you felt. 

I am always amazed that someone can put themselves out there and share intimate details, I do hope it was cathartic for the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment