I really did not want to read this book. Everyone is talking about it. There is so much publicity about how great it is , touching the heart strings, making you feel good in a time when people are so angry and bad tempered. So I held out as long as I could and finally the stars aligned. My book group put it on the to read list and just as I had thought maybe I will skip the meeting to discuss Theo of Golden, the book was sitting on the pile fo returns when I walked in to the library. Ok I guess I was meant to read the book.
It is what everyone is saying, a feel good book about an elderly man who shows up in a small southern town to live for a short while. He wants to do something good in life before the end. He wants to give to others in need without the thought of thanks or reward.
Walking into a small coffee shop in Golden he sees portraits hanging around the room of townspeople. He decides to buy them and give them to the person in the painting. We meet the members of the community as Theo meets them as he gives them each their portrait. He learns their life story. Using the art of evasion he does not answer their questions.
I kept reading because I knew somewhere in the end there had to be a connection that has brought to this town and these people. Of course I will not ruin the surprises but needless to say there two twists at the end that bring the story around to full closeure.
It is a feel good book with a happy ending that ties up all the loose ends in a neat package.
No comments:
Post a Comment