Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Are You There GD? It's Me Margaret

 I guess I was already too old to read this when it was first published.  Reading it now for a book group and it is well written and I can see myself at that age again so clearly.  Interesting to read it as an adult.

Are You There GD? It's Me Margaret by Judy  Blume is a perfect coming of age novel.  It address so many topics that girls of 12 are curious about.  It is a way for the reader to get answers to questions if they cannot discuss it with a parent.

It was fun to read now as aa banned book and see what people object to.  The idea of discussing religion, sex, and menstruation.  Everything that girls in sixth grade are interested in.  It is also fun to read that she is in New Jersey, where I grew up.  

I think the serious issues are also presented simply, and without judgement.  It is interesting to think about GD outside of a religious context. You do not need to be apart of a religious group to talk to GD.

This book was on the cutting edge of its time, but is still so relevant to girls today.

No comments:

Post a Comment